[ENOG discuss] Anti-Shutdown-01

Jaap Akkerhuis jaap at NLnetLabs.nl
Wed Apr 12 09:45:18 CEST 2017

 Volodymyr Litovka writes:

 > your position on this topic is clear. Since government of Russia,
 > actually, is closest to such "shutdown" scenario, you will not support
 > sanctions for this.
 >
 > But this proposal is about how to deal with *attack**s*. There are,
 > actually, three choices: ignore, be deeply concerned and penalize. Last
 > years from real world's life shown what happen if 1st and 2nd options
 > were chosen.

I haven't seen any proposal in the RIPE community which asks for a
change of the current RIPE policy. Such a proposal is probably best
entertainined in the Cooperation working group

It wll be interesting what the AFRINIC folks will come up. If you read
the proposal, it seems that it wants to punish the governments which
"shutsdown the internet" by not not giving them resources. That does
not necessarily mean the the LIRS are been blocked.

The proposal seems very fluffy and and the consequences of all this
handwaving hasn't been thought through.

I'm going to order some more popcorn :-).

	jaap