[ENOG discuss] Anti-Shutdown-01

Volodymyr Litovka doka.ua at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 09:21:58 CEST 2017

Victor,

On 4/12/17 10:10 AM, Victor Belov wrote:
> With all my support for this idea (penalties for those trying to
> disturb Internet operations for whatever reasons, governments or not)
> I don’t think RIRs are the right entity to make decisions if somebody
> violates human rights.
> There are plenty of entities in the world in charge of making such
> decisions already, efficient or not. So if we really want to add
> something of that kind to RIR rules, it should be straight forward
> technical wise, not political wise or human rights wise, or whatever
> else wise…

Let's talk in simpler way - if government, for any reasons, will
shutdown Internet in their country, then it means these guys don't need
it and, thus, don't need any resources. Of course, RIR isn't right place
to make a decision about human rights violation, but RIR has more
precise and technical metrics to decide whether to continue or
discontinue operations.

The only I'd suggest to proposal is to support penalties during proposed
time OR government's lifetime, i.e. if government changed and then
abolished shutdown, there is no need to continue sanctions.